Monday, November 22, 2010

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pie Pancakes

If you love white bread and dislike wheat bread, read no further.  If you love the texture of whole wheat and oat bran, read on.  These pancakes are not like anything you will find at the local pancake joint (at least I think not, but I can't say I've been to any pancake places in a very long time).  My family is used to my "heathifying" almost every recipe that comes my way and they LOVE these pancakes.  My DD8 can make these on her own and is happy to do so because we love these so much (and because she loves to cook).

Ingredients:

1 cup egg substitute (or 4 whole eggs)
3/4 cups pumpkin (fresh or canned)
1/3 cup sucanat sugar (or raw or white or whatever)
1/4 cup canola oil
2-2 1/4 cups skim milk

1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup oat bran
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 Tbls cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
4 tsp pumpkin pie spice*

1/2 cup cinnamon baking chips (optional, but recommended!!!)**

*pumpkin pie spice replacement: 1 Tbls cinnamon, 3/4 tsp nutmeg, 3/4 tsp ground ginger, 3/8 tsp ground cloves (I used these measurements regularly until my spice purchase through the co-op a few weeks ago).
**Cinnamon chips are packaged just like chocolate chips and can be found in the same area.  They used to be quite hard to find, but I think they are more common now.  I first found mine at Hy-Vee.

Directions:

1. Combine egg substitute, pumpkin, sugar, canola oil, and milk in a large bowl.
2. Combine the rest of the ingredients (except cinnamon chips) in a smaller bowl. (I consider this optional since this is a loose mix).
3. Mix in the dry flour mixture with the wet pumpkin mixture until smooth.  Don't over mix.
4. Pour batter onto lightly greased griddle or skillet.  Drop 5-6 cinnamon chips onto each pancake and bake as you normally would.


Personal notes: This is a runny batter--don't worry about it.  You can add more dry stuff if it freaks you out.  I use a standard size ice cream scoop to put my batter onto the griddle.


The runny batter

 










On the griddle.  Mmmm, can't wait!












Some of the pancakes.  I forgot to mention that this makes quite a few!  I like to pop leftover pancakes in the toaster and reheat them.  They're almost as good as fresh that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment