Monday, November 8, 2010

Sweet Potato Rolls

Here is another one of my favorite recipes.  I make these every Thanksgiving and at other various times of the year.  I made them just last night for our church friends we potluck with every Sunday night.  Here is the recipe:

1 (.25 oz) pkg active dry yeast or 2 1/4 tsp. if you buy it in a jar like I do
1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees)
4 tablespoons sugar, divided (I use raw sugar or sucanat, but white is just fine)
1-1/2 cups canned sweet potato puree (I use baked sweet potatoes)
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon salt (I use sea salt)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour

1. Dissolve yeast, warm water, and 1 tbsp sugar in mixing bowl.  Let stand 5 minutes.
2. Add remaining sugar, sweet potato, butter or margarine, salt, and eggs.  Stir to mix well.  Stir in 3-1/2 cups of flour.  Mix and add more flour as needed to make the dough firm and slightly sticky.  Turn onto floured surface.  Knead 2 to 3 minutes, adding just enough flour to prevent sticking; avoid kneading too much.  When dough is smooth, shape into a ball.  Place in an oiled bowl and turn to coat surface.  Cover and let rise for about 1 hour.
3. Punch down and allow to rest for 2-3 minutes.  Divide into 16 balls (these are big rolls; if you want smaller make more rolls).  Place on greased cookie sheet or in a 9x13 in. pan.  Allow to rise until doubled.
4. Bake at 375 degrees for 12 to 20 minutes.  Serve warm.

I used my Kitchenaid mixer last night to make these and they turned out just as great as ever.  Here are some photos:

The dough before it had risen.
 After the dough had risen and the balls were formed.  Next the balls still had to rise once more (they fill the pan after they do!)

I forgot to take a picture of these when they came out of the oven.  By the time I remembered, just moments later, the vultures had swooped.  Here is what was left.  I love the orange-ish tint these rolls have.  They are so moist and I love the idea that they have some added nutrition to them.  I will be trying these with 1/2 white wheat flour in the future to see how it affects the texture.

 Okay, here is a picture from Thanksgiving Day.  I accidentally got the rolls a little browner than normal (I was using my bottom oven which cooks quicker).  But, they were still delicious and now you know what a full pan of these babies looks like. 

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, these look delicious! I am putting them on my TDay menu right now :)

    I found you from your comment on Life as Mom -- are you in OP, too? I'm intrigued about your coop experience. I might want to split an order with you the next time you do one. We love Honeycrisp apples, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete